No need to present Le Petit Prince a.k.a The Little Prince in English, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, the author of the novel (1934), the infamous quote “Draw me a sheep!.” But how much do you really know about this Little Prince?
Here are some key fast facts:
The Little Prince in print
- In France: 1 novelty each year by historic publisher Gallimard
- 2009: the Big Pop-Up, complete edition of The Little Prince in a pop-up version
- 2008: Joann Sfar created a comic book version that sold 150,000 copies in France and is available in 23 countries.
The Little Prince worldwide
- Translations in 180 languages and dialects: Il piccolo Principe (Italian), El principito (Spanish), O Pequeno Principe (Portuguese), Der Kleine Prinz (German)
- 120 Million copies in circulation worldwide
- Most translated book after the Bible
The Little Prince under the spotlights
- Numerous exhibits and even theme parks dedicated to the character
- Brazil: an exhibit showcasing The Little Prince in October 2009
- Korea: «La Petite France» park after The Little Prince
- Japan: dedicated museum opened 10 years ago
The Little Prince on stage
- 1977 to 2001: over 10,000 representations of Jacques Ardouin's play
- 1997: opera by Nikolauss Schapfl in Germany
- 2002: Richard Cocciante created a musical presented at the Casino de Paris
- 2003: Rachel Portman's opera at the Houston Grand Opera and at the New-York City Opera in 2008
- Sept. 09: revival of the 2006 version of the play adapted by Virgil Tanase at the Comédie des Champs-Elysées
The Little Prince as a spokesman
- 2008: UN spokesman for the 60th birthday of the Universal declaration of rights http://www.knowyourrights2008.org
- 2009: Unric ambassador (UN) for lasting development http://www.coolplanet2009.fr
The Little Prince licensing products
- A new worldwide graphic charter developed for 2009.
- A large range of licensing products ranging from stationary, luggage, toys & games, soft toys, little leather goods, birth sets, baby care, resin and plastic figurines, Medals, lithographs, etc.
The Little Prince in 2010
- Christmas 2010: France 3 will start running a new 3D series of 26x52’ produced by Method Films for kids 6 to12 years old
- Co-productions with the main European public TV channels: WRD in Germany, Rai in Italy, BBC in England, TVE in Spain.
The joy of seeing the world through a child's eyes, even when you are all grown up, even when you live on the other side of the planet, is the secret of The Little Prince’s global success!